Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What's Going On? Not Much, Really.

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. - After a month of dabbling---with, I will freely admit, a certain amount of exhilaration---in the world of Twitter, I've come crawling back to this here blog because...why? I dunno. Just because.

Well, there's a reason, I guess. Much of that reason is emotional. I'm pretty much feeling stuck again in my life (I could explain why, but it would take a whole book chapter to explain, and it might probably bring undue attention from people at work anyway, so I will remain discreet publicly unless prompted privately), and right now I feel like the only thing I can fall back on to feel better about the rut I'm in is, well, writing. The one thing that I feel like I know how to do, and the one thing I would really like to do for the rest of my life, in some form or another.

So I am writing right now. Do I have anything interesting to say? Well...why not talk about Twitter?

Cards on the table, then: I like Twitter. It keeps my mind and senses alert for things that intrigue me enough to share with the rest of the world, or at least the people who follow my feed. No need to worry about forgetting that precious thought that came to your head that you liked so much; just put it down as a tweet and see who bites.

Sure, it's exhibitionism. But you know what? I guess I've come to realize that I like a certain amount of attention, at least the right kind of attention from the right people. I like knowing people actually read and care about what's going on inside my head. ("What's going on inside my head"---a Hüsker Dü lyric, by the way. I actually tweeted that early on.) I like the interaction that Twitter can afford. And sometimes I just like the challenge of boiling thoughts and ideas down to 140 characters or less.

So yes, it's totally self-centered. But I do it for me, not really for anyone else. You're all free to join into entering my scattered mind, if you wish.

So yeah...Twitter. Maybe it's a fad, as some of my more resistant friends insist that it is. Well, okay, maybe. But for now, it's a fad I'm on board with...until, I suppose, I get bored with it. We'll see.

In the meantime, no promises that this update means that I will start blogging more. I really should, though. I don't know how many people actually read this damn thing anymore, anyway...but I really should just write these kinds of longer entries more. If nothing else, it might just take my mind off some of the more depressing things that are happening---or, more precisely, not happening---in my life right now.

No comments: