Monday, September 17, 2012

To Elaborate on Some of My Best-of-TIFF Choices...

NEW YORK—The link-through below may not be the final word I offer on my experience at this year's Toronto International Film Festival, but since I aim to attend my first New York Film Festival press & industry screening tomorrow morning (come at me, Brian De Palma's Passion), I figured this was as appropriate a time as any to catch you all up on this blog post from last week, to which I contributed blurbs about three of my favorite films at TIFF. So if some of you were clamoring for elaboration on why I cited some of those titles in the artistic consumption log I posted just this morning...there you go.



By the way, I contributed that list, by the way, before I had seen Marco Bellocchio's Dormant Beauty, which probably would have edged out To the Wonder on that top three. If asked to come up with a blurb about it, I'd say something along the lines of it being the kind of humane political filmmaking that seems to be in preciously short supply in many recent American films (though, surprisingly, Robert Redford's new film The Company You Keep comes close to matching Bellocchio's in political intelligence, at least). You can see the trailer for the film above.

No comments: