Friday, February 19, 2010

Martin Scorsese: "He Makes the Best F--kin' Films!"

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J.—In honor of Martin Scorsese's latest film, Shutter Island, coming out in wide release today, here's a video of one band's, er, "tribute" to the filmmaker. (I tip my hat to a fellow co-worker at The Wall Street Journal, who shall remain nameless here, for introducing me to this.)

Ladies and gentlemen, from 1992, King Missile's "Martin Scorsese":



What do you all think: Does this at least somewhat encapsulate the experience of watching at least some of Scorsese's films? (This, by the way, is a censored version of the song; the actual version has about 13 times more uses of the f-word than this video's zero.)

I have not seen Scorsese's latest opus, by the way (I'm not that connected in the film-critic community...yet...). But the wildly mixed reviews I'm seeing for the film are increasing my anticipation. The trailer made it look at least visually dazzling...but then I remember his last film, The Departed (2006), in which Scorsese (to my mind, anyway) slummed big time and won undeserved acclaim, including many Oscars (one for himself), for it. Here's hoping Shutter Island will live up to my (guarded) expectations.

No comments: