Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Convergence of Drivers; Plus, What Am I Doing in South Dakota?

OACOMA, S.D.—

 
My mother and Mike Watt, on a road to...somewhere

Yes, folks: After two long days of driving cross-country, with a precious handful of hours of sleep last night in between it all, my family and I have arrived in South Dakota. Rest assured, we are still on our way to Yellowstone National Park; that ultimate destination has not changed. But we have to decided to take a bit of time to relax and explore South Dakota. We need the rest; for one thing, we all could sure use time for a shower!

I'm not sure what we plan to see here, though. Wait a minute: Isn't the real Deadwood somewhere in South Dakota? This only reminds me that I still haven't actually watched that much-lauded HBO series...

2 comments:

Jeffrey Hill said...

the Badlands - backdrop to a number of westerns. The Black Hills. Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore. You've got some sites to see, buster!

Kenji Fujishima said...

Heh yes, thanks for reminding me Jeffrey! Tomorrow is the only other day my family and I plan to be in South Dakota, though, so it may be tough to see 'em all.

I for one wouldn't mind checking out Mt. Rushmore...though whether I'd be able to climb up and get into a North By Northwest-style adventure is still yet to be determined ;-) .