Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cell Phone Bubble

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - This past weekend, my parents decided---without really telling me, just like they never really talked to me about getting Dusty---to get a cell phone plan upgrade, making a jump from T-Mobile to Verizon. Verizon is apparently a better plan, and you can get service with Verizon almost anywhere. So that's fine.

But by far the coolest thing about the upgrade: I finally got a new flip phone!

Okay, it's not really as exciting as it sounds. But, for some reason, getting a new flip phone has restored the childlike wonder in me. Now I can flip open and close a cell phone just like everyone else! Oh, and it has a cameraphone to it too. Now I can take pics with my cell phone just like everyone else!

When I had my ancient Nokia 3390 phone for the past 3+ years, I kept saying to myself that it wouldn't matter to me, getting a new, fancier phone. Taking pictures with your phone? Eh, whatever; that's what a real camera's for, ain't it? In fact, I was more concerned about getting cell phones for the rest of my family than with getting myself a new phone.

Still, now that I have a new Samsung phone, I don't think I'm going to complain about it. In fact, I've already started taking a few pics with it, and I always feel a stupid kind of rush when I flip my phone up and down. (Perhaps it's the same kind of dumb rush those businessmen in American Psycho felt when they showed off their newly-created business cards.) Yep, I've finally broken out of my cell phone bubble.

Now, how's that for triviality!

No comments: