Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Politiciana, Concluded

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Well, some of you may be pleased to know that I did vote today, and thus not only did I supposedly contribute to our country's democratic process, but I avoided possible feelings of guilt for not doing so.

Does this make me a better American citizen? Eh, probably not. I barely knew much about either N.J. senatorial candidate going in, so my choice---Menendez---wasn't exactly the most informed. And I basically voted all Democrat. Hey, one thing I believe for sure: we need a change in Congress. If the Democrats do take over Congress, it'll be very interesting to see how our good ol' Republican president George W. Bush will adapt to this, and how Congress will respond to him. Hopefully they'll actually learn to work beneficially with each other...? One can only hope.

I guess I really shouldn't have felt too guilty about not voting; I mean, I'm hardly the only one who won't be voting today, and I like to think I would have had a better reason for not doing so than sheer apathy. Still, I figure, might as well contribute to the small pool of young voters, since apparently so few of us vote anyway. Maybe, in some way, I can contribute to finally getting politicians to take issues regarding us college students and recent college grads seriously or something.

See, I guess there is still a bit of the old naive idealist in me after all.

Oh, and, last time I checked, CNN had already gone ahead and declared Menendez the winner anyway. Go team.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is good you voted and Menendez has won, so you voted for a winner. Its also good you added this to your blog tonite; shows you are in touch with what's happening today; so on some level you DO care about the political scene.

odienator said...

Kenji,

I got up Election Day morning and voted in my pajamas, which is a tradition of mine, since the voting machine is in my apartment building lobby. I just wish they made bunny slippers in my shoe size so I could wear them to vote too. I love scaring the shit out of people.

I then went back upstairs, got dressed, and flew out to San Francisco for work. So, I was in liberal land, at a bar, when Dem Dems started kickin' ass.

Menendez, whose name always makes me think of the bros who shot their parents, was a Hudson County politician, so I had plenty of familiarity with him. The picture they had for him on CNN looked like Jerry Lewis. I looked up from my seventh Jack and Coke and said "I voted for The Nutty Professor!"

Maybe, in some way, I can contribute to finally getting politicians to take issues regarding us college students and recent college grads seriously or something.

HA HA HA HA HA!

Back when I was in college, President Madison didn't give a shit about students! What makes you think anything has changed?

And for the record, I think Washington D.C. politics are going to get as nasty as those political ads from the Republicans. Cheney might invite the new Dem leaders out hunting...