Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. - First off: merry Christmas, everyone!

Yeah, that's it. Don't have much to say about Christmas this year (at least, not much to say that won't make me come off as a grinch). As usual, my family is basically treating Dec. 25 like any other day of the year. So no Christmas tree and no gift-giving. The only gift we all have, I guess, is the gift of being alive, heh.

So no fancy-pants plans for us today. And most likely, no trips to a Chinese restaurant where we get to hear an awful Chinese-accented a cappella rendition of "Deck the Halls." (Maybe a viewing of one of my Christmas favorites, Die Hard? Or even its middling, if exhilaratingly bloodthirsty, first sequel?)

**********

Yesterday I returned to Megamovies to try to rattle off a slew of shifts during winter break. It was...an interesting experience, to say the least.

For my first day back in about three-and-a-half months, I was forced to have to brush off the cobwebs of my cashiering knowhow pretty much all by myself; someone had apparently called out at the last minute, leaving me to man the west box all by my lonesome. Thus, I was pretty much forced to have to remember how to do things all by myself, with a little help from the managers on staff. Worse: because it was Christmas Eve, gift certificates and Mega Money (theater money in $5 denominations that could substitute for cash) were in high demand, and so at certain moments of my 5+ hour shift yesterday, I had to occasionally juggle helping out a customer with gift certificates and printing tickets for theatergoers at the same time.

At the end of the day, I think I handled myself pretty well for my first day back on the job in a few months. It took me a while to get back into the, uh, swing of things, but hopefully I brushed off those cobwebs well enough that I'll be able to handle myself better on Tuesday, when I'll actually have someone else manning the other computer at the west box and when not so many people will be demanding gift certificates. (Aside: who knew I was any good at multitasking? But that was pretty much what I was forced to do last night. It helped that most of the people who demanded gift certificates were understanding enough to step aside and let me handle customers before dealing with their need.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, why doesnt your family celebrate Christmas and why no gift giving? A big family dinner at least?? Anyway, the gift of life is the most important, thats true.

Kenji Fujishima said...

No particular reason, I guess---just that we don't really take those kind of standard Christmas customs all that seriously. Maybe the spirit of Christmas we believe. And sorry, no big family dinner either.