Monday, February 20, 2012

Artistic Consumption Log, Feb. 13, 2012 - Feb. 19, 2012

BROOKLYN, N.Y.—This past week, I've found myself about as busy writing film reviews as I've been busy seeing films and experiencing other cultural events. So you'll all eventually hear about some of the works I list below. For now, I'm afraid I'll have to keep this barebones once again.

Just know that, for New Yorkers who are into the theater, Signature Theatre Company's current production of South African playwright Athol Fugard's early 1961 drama Blood Knot is worth seeing...especially at the price of $25 a ticket. (With Broadway prices as through the roof as they are, one would, I think, be foolish not to jump on such a deal and take a chance on something unfamiliar!) Its final 10 minutes turn a seemingly harmless game of role-playing into a nightmare fantasy of apartheid race relations in a manner that is truly sobering and devastating.

I wish I had been able to articulate those sentiments to Fugard himself...who was sitting a mere two seats away from me, up in the balcony of Pershing Square Signature Center's Griffin Hall. But alas, when presented with an opportunity to do so, I got rather starstruck and tongue-tied. I did get to pick up his hat and hand it to him as he left the audience chamber...which led him to ask me what I thought of the performance, upon which I responded that I thought it was great (and I meant it, too). But that was it, in the end.

Oh well. At least I can feel content at basking in the glow of a wonderful theatrical experience. Because, in the end, that's all that matters, right?

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace (2011)

Films

Zelig (1983, Woody Allen), seen at IFC Center in New York

Film Comment Selects 2012:

Transfer (2010, Damir Lukacevic), seen on DVD in Brooklyn, N.Y.
We Have a Pope (2011, Nanni Moretti), seen at Walter Reade Theater in New York
All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace (2011, Adam Curtis), seen at Walter Reade Theater in New York

Music

似火探戈 (1987, 梅艷芳) [umpteenth listen]

Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 2 (1952, Thelonious Monk)
Monk (1953, Thelonious Monk)
Thelonious (1954, Thelonious Monk)

Theater

Blood Knot (1961, Athol Fugard), performed at Pershing Square Signature Center in New York

No comments: