Monday, March 19, 2012

Artistic Consumption Log, March 5, 2012 - March 18, 2012: Extended Fortnight Edition

BROOKLYN, N.Y.—Where have I been and what have I been doing, some of you might be asking, that led me to abandon this blog for two whole weeks?

I've been in Austin, Texas, for the South by Southwest Film Festival, that's where!

Yes, my friends, I did another year of SXSW, and once again covered it for The House Next Door. If this year's experience felt a bit less exciting than last year's—well, perhaps that has less to do with the quality of this year's line-up (though overall, I did find the batch of films I saw this year more hit-or-miss than last year's) than with the inevitable fact that, now that I already had done this once before, the sheer novelty of my being at a film festival outside of New York was already gone before I flew back to Austin about a week and a half ago. So the first flushes of discovery were mostly absent this time around. Thankfully, some of the films I saw picked up the slack—that and that one night I happened to get into a free performance that featured a final cameo appearance by none other than The Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen!


I have a whole bunch of links to post on this blog of pieces I published while at SXSW in addition to a couple of other non-SXSW-related links. I'll get to those in a future post...soon, I hope. For now, here's my latest artistic consumption log, in mere list form:

Keyhole (2011)

Films

Goodbye (2011, Mohammad Rasoulof), seen at Museum of Modern Art in New York [second viewing]

South by Southwest Film Festival 2012, all films seen in Austin, Texas:
The Cabin in the Woods (2011, Drew Goddard), seen at Paramount Theatre
Girls Against Boys (2012, Austin Chick), seen at Alamo Ritz
Girl Model (2011, David Redmon & A. Sabin), seen at Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
Tchoupitoulas (2012, Bill & Turner Ross), seen at Alamo Ritz
Killer Joe (2011, William Friedkin), seen at Paramount Theatre
Gimme the Loot (2012, Adam Leon), seen at Alamo Lamar
Keyhole (2011, Guy Maddin), seen at Alamo Lamar
The Do-Deca-Pentathlon (2012, Jay & Mark Duplass), seen at Alamo Ritz
The Raid: Redemption (2011, Gareth Evans), seen at Paramount Theatre
Compliance (2012, Craig Zobel), seen at Stateside
21 Jump Street (2012, Phil Lord & Chris Miller), seen at Paramount Theatre
Somebody Up There Likes Me (2012, Bob Byington), seen at Alamo Lamar
Under African Skies (2012, Joe Berlinger), seen at Alamo Lamar
Intruders (2011, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo), seen at Alamo Ritz
Black Pond (2011, Tom Kingsley & Will Sharpe), seen at Alamo Lamar
Bernie (2011, Richard Linklater), seen at Paramount Theatre
Last Call at the Oasis (2011, Jessica Yu), seen at Alamo Lamar
Los Chidos (2012, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez), seen at Alamo Ritz

Music

Trans-Europe Express (1977, Kraftwerk)

The Stranger (1977, Billy Joel) [second listen]

The Modern Beethoven: A Philharmonic Festival:
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 (1799-1800) / Hartmann: Concerto funèbre for Solo Violin and String Orchestra (1939/1959) / Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55, Sinfonia eroica (1802-04), performed by Gil Shaham (violin), David Zinman (conductor) and the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall in New York

Television

Girls (2012- ), seen at Paramount Theatre in Austin, Texas

No comments: