Monday, June 26, 2006

Brief Life Update No. 3: Movie Theaters But No Movie

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Not much to report this weekend as far as happenings go. Friday and Sunday evenings I worked at Megamovies, and Saturday afternoon I ushered an event at the State Theatre.

I was bracing myself for dealing with long lines at Megamovies on Friday evening, but the manager placed me with someone at another, less busy box office and so I wasn't hit with as many customers as I thought I would be. Perhaps sometime this week I'll actually get a chance to see how I do under the pressure of long lines. I don't think I should be too bad; I guess I just have to try to work more quickly.

This weekend was a rare weekend in which I didn't go to a movie theater to see a film. Not that I felt I was missing a great deal with the mainstream films offered this weekend. I mean, I know I shouldn't be too judgmental even with an Adam Sandler movie, but the trailer for his new movie Click made it look like a one-joke comedy that eventually turns sappy. So a selfish dad discovers his heart; yeah, didn't we see that already, to some extent, in Big Daddy? There's too much aggression in Sandler's comic man-child persona to allow us to really by his movie's attempts at Capra-esque "heart." (Maybe that's why the Sandler persona filtered through the art-conscious sensibility of Paul Thomas Anderson in Punch-Drunk Love felt so refreshing.)

Considering that because I now work at Megamovies, I get to see movies for free, perhaps I could safely check out Click and not worry about whether I'm wasting my money. Hmm...

Anyway...I'm not in the mood tonight, but look for a post about Joss Whedon's TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I've just finished watching on DVD, in the near future. For now, I'll just say that watching the final episode of this terrific TV show really made me feel like I was taking leave of a dear friend. Heck, I didn't feel quite the same way even when I watched the final episode of The X-Files (but then, maybe that's because, when I saw it the first time, I tuned in after having abandoned the show for about 2+ years).

In the meantime, chew on this: apparently my piece on Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels that was published on Matt Seitz's "House Next Door" blog got noticed by the people at GreenCine Daily; in a recent entry on its blog, it quoted a line from my piece. I got a shout-out! Not much, but it makes me happy to feel like I'm getting noticed at least a little bit in the internet movie fan universe.

No comments: