Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wall Street Journal, Day 13: Priceless

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Looks like I came into the Wall Street Journal at a transitional period.

Big news came out of the Journal today: there was a major shakeup among the big editors of the Journal...and I was among the people sitting in a conference room in the South Brunswick office hearing managing editor Marcus Brauchli announce the sweeping changes in store for the paper in the near future. Check out the details here.

Apparently, the New York Times had a report about this last night, but I didn't find out about the planned announcement until I heard an NPR announcer mention it this morning as I was driving to work.

First the Murdoch offer (and I heard that the Bancroft family was supposed to present their own ideas for a possible takeover to Murdoch today), now this. What a lucky time to be a Wall Street Journal intern, with so much going on behind the scenes! Obviously, since I've only been working there for about two-and-a-half weeks, I don't have quite as much of an emotional or even professional stake in much of these changes. But---to borrow the phrasing of those Mastercard ads---the feeling that you're possibly standing on the edge of a new age of sorts for the Journal? Priceless.

By the way, I was back to working on briefs. No majors for today. But the major I edited yesterday did make it into today's paper. That was cool to see. (The article, if anyone's interested, had something to do with Citigroup trying to create a microfinance fund to aid poor people in getting business off the ground.)

No comments: