Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Let's Get It Started

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Yes, I know---My Life, at 24 Frames Per Second hasn't been as introspective and exploratory as it used to be. I guess I'm just in the midst of one of those whirligig times in a person's life when stuff just keeps on happening and you don't have much time to stop and think too deeply---or at least, in my case, don't have much time to give voice to deeper feelings on a blog like this.

Well, here's hoping I will regain some of that time soon---now that I've got reasonably settled what my new job up at The Wall Street Journal's New York office at the World Financial Center will be.

Basically, it breaks down like this: I'm back at my old international-edition stomping grounds. I will be working during the day, about 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. And I will be doing a lot of what I used to do at the monitor desk---proofreading, double-checking page refers, indexing, etc.---with the possibility of taking on extra duties. I'm not sure what those extra duties would entail, but I'm eager to find out.

This comes as something of a relief, actually. I feared the difficulty I would encounter in trying to figure out how to commute to New York from East Brunswick during the afternoons without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money parking every day (I found out the hard way that parking permits are all but impossible to obtain in such a short amount of time as a few days in both East Brunswick and other cities like New Brunswick, Edison and Metuchen---all with waiting lists of up to 4 years). But a day shift, as far as I can tell, works out perfectly for me---I can take one of the NJ Transit buses that stop by sites near my house in the mornings, and thus not worry about parking costs and such.

And working in New York? Well, it's not exactly living near the city, but for now, it'll do. More opportunities for advancement, for sure.

I'm excited for, and intrigued about, what's ahead. (Maybe a byline in the paper soon...?)

And once I get settled in over there, maybe I can get back to some of the life rhythms I had developed before this state of transition shook things up (in a good way, ultimately).

No comments: