Thursday, October 18, 2012

Closing the Book on The 50th New York Film Festival

NEW YORK—Since I'm not on Criticwire, I wasn't asked to participate in this poll rounding up critics' favorite, and not-so-favorite, films and performances in this year's New York Film Festival. So I figured, by way of a sum-up, I'd offer some of my picks in the various categories.

This year's festival was such an embarrassment of riches, for the most part, that naturally there were plenty of titles and performances that I regret leaving off because of the limit of five in each category, especially in the acting categories. Plus, in the "Best Nonfiction Film" category, I cheated and threw in the wondrous avant-garde shorts by Nathaniel Dorsky and Jerome Hiler, seen during the Views from the Avant-Garde sidebar two weekends ago. Hey, it's my blog and my list, so I can break the rules if I want!

Anyway, by way of closing the book on the 50th New York Film Festival, here you go:

Like Someone in Love

Best Fiction Film
1. Like Someone in Love
2. Holy Motors
3. Barbara
4. Mekong Hotel
5. Passion

Leviathan

Best Nonfiction Film
1. Leviathan
2. August and After/April
3. In the Stone House/New Shores
4. First Cousin Once Removed

Beyond the Hills

Most Disappointing Film
1. Beyond the Hills
2. Something in the Air
3. The Last Time I Saw Macao

Best Lead Performance
1. Denis Lavant, Holy Motors
2. Nina Hoss, Barbara
3. Denzel Washington, Flight
4. Tadashi Okuno, Like Someone in Love
5. Suraj Sharma, Life of Pi

Best Supporting Performance
1. John Goodman, Flight
2. Isabelle Huppert, Amour
3. Kylie Minogue, Holy Motors
4. Alessandro Nivola, Ginger & Rosa
5. Ronald Zehrfeld, Barbara

Notably missed: You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet, Night Across the Street, Berberian Sound Studio, and so on

No comments: